Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lenten Journey

For those who were unaware, I have decided this year to join a large portion of Christ's Body in practicing the ancient Eastern Great Fast of Lent. I was a little unsure how this would go, whether I would be able to stick to it, and what I would think of it. I was very nervous about it, to say the least. The fasting rule is as follows:

First Week of Lent: Only two full meals are e
aten during the first five days, on Wednesday and Friday after the Presanctified Liturgy. Nothing is eaten from Monday morning until Wednesday evening, the longest time without food in the Church year. (Few laymen keep these rules in their fullness). For the Wednesday and Friday meals, as for all weekdays in Lent, meat and animal products, fish, dairy products, wine and oil are avoided. On Saturday of the first week, the usual rule for Lenten Saturdays begins (see below).
Weekdays in the Second through Sixth Weeks: The strict fasting rule is kept every day: avoidance of meat, meat products, fish, eggs, dairy, wine and oil.
Saturdays and Sundays in the Second through Sixth Weeks: Wine and oil are permitted; otherwise the strict fasting rule is kept.
Holy Week: The Thursday evening meal is ideally the last meal taken until Pascha. At this meal, wine and oil are permitted. The Fast of Great and Holy Friday is the strictest fast day of the year: even those who have not kept a strict Lenten fast are strongly urged not to eat on this day. After St. Basil's Liturgy on Holy Saturday, a little wine and fruit may be taken for sustenance. The fast is sometimes broken on Saturday night after Resurrection Matins, or, at the latest, after the Divine Liturgy on Pascha.
Also, most eat only one meal per day during the week, and two on Saturdays and Sundays.
So, first of all confessions -
(1) I drank alcohol on St. Patrick's Day. Alcohol and Olive Oil are permitted on Feast days, and this is a feast day in the West, but not in the East. Therefore, I took a little liberty here, though I was technically still faithful to the fast.
(2) I had a couple of eggs the next morning after St. Patrick's Day. Oops.
(3) Butter was difficult to stay away from. Many times I realized I had eaten something which had butter in it, which I did not know was made with butter. This will be something to improve upon next year with more knowledge.
However, for a first-time participant, I think most would say this is pretty good.
Now, thoughts:
My experience has been powerful, to say the least. Feeling a rooted-ness in the traditions of the Church and the practices of two millennia is quite a humbling experience. It is not about me and my specific fast of my specific desires (although there is a place for that!). It is about being a part of a Body which practices their life together. Also, this has also been a powerful experience of what it means to "share in Christ's sufferings" and realizing that "humanity does not live on bread alone but on every word which proceeds from the mouth of God." It is impossible not to draw near in prayer, asking for strength as hunger pangs kick in about 10pm and you know you cannot eat anything until noon the next day.
The most powerful part of it all, has been two-fold. The impetus for doing this was a realization that I needed it spiritually. I had planned to start lifting and get on a lifting diet (which means a lot of meat and dairy and eggs), to get into shape. This was a huge leap of faith to say to God, "I am going to trust you with what it means to be 'in shape' and I am going to endeavor towards that."

I have subsequently lost 14 pounds and weigh less than I have in 5 years. This was a major setback on such things, and this is all to the glory of God.
The second thing was the true "spiritual fitness" which has come from the practice. It has truly been a means of grace for me. The self-discipline which has come from this practice is incredible. It took a long time getting used to saying "no" to things that I wanted to eat. There were times when I would pick something up in the grocery store, check the label, see it had eggs in it, and have to put it back saying "no." In the back of your head you know that it is not sinful to break your fast, but you say "no" nevertheless. This has had powerful ramifications for my spiritual life, as it has made saying "no" to things which are in fact sinful far, far easier to do. What a blessing this has been.

I highly suggest this journey to anyone who is healthy enough to do so. I have never been more excited for Easter, more excited to celebrate the new life of Resurrection, and to go on to my own goals with a new spiritual strength which will in turn be bolstered by a renewed physical strength.
I only ask that you pray for me as I enter into the fast of Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Going without food for that long in my current physical condition will certainly be difficult. But I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

1 comment: